It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2007-Current: My 1992 240SX Coupe Project
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:56 pm 
Site Admin

Well my crank scraper/baffle/windage tray setup FINALLY got here! Almost 2.5 months of waiting for this to be finished! Now it's off to the machine shop to finally get the bottom end machined and put together. More updates soon hopefully, lol.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:16 pm 
Site Admin

Got my head back from the machine shop. Got it resurfaced. They used a PCBN cutter setup (which is basically a diamond cutter) to get a decent finish to seal with a metal headgasket.

They also installed my Supertech dual valve springs (I don't have a valve spring compressor), new OEM valve seals, and other spring hardware. They also cleaned it up a bit. Going to clean it some more before I install of course.

Now I'm waiting for my test shims to get here (hopefully this week) so I can see what sizes I need to order to get the proper clearances for the Tomei solid lifters.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 8:26 am 
Site Admin

Did a little work on it last week after work:

Ordered a new set of Tomei test shims

Grabbed my WPC treated (and modified for solid lifters) rocker arms

Cylinder Head

Installed test shims and rocker arms

Installed cams to spec

I then checked the clearances for all the valves, did the math, and ordered the needed shims to have .13mm of gap between the rocker arms and cams. Had to order 10 of the 16 shims from Tomei, the rest from Nissan. Waiting on those and my new cam cap bolts, and the head should be ready to go.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:23 pm 
Site Admin

Well after a few issues with Nissan getting my shims, I finally got the last 3 today, so I installed them and now the solid lifters are all in spec! Waiting on a new hardware kit I ordered (all new bolts for the motor) to do the last couple finishing touches on the cylinder head. Going to do an S13/4 valve cover conversion as well, waiting for my paycheck before sending that out. Other than that, I'm just waiting on the block to get out of the machine shop!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:51 pm 
Site Admin

Picked up my bottom end today! All the machine work is finished, crank is in with the scraper, Scat rods, CP Pistons (WPC treated), ARP mains and ACL race bearings. I'll have lots of updates over the next couple weeks! Couple pics before I start working on it:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:33 am 
Site Admin

By the end of last night I got a few things done. I should get a ton done today!

Oil Pump Prior to assembly:

Timing hardware installed:

Timing cover, water pump and crank pulley lightly installed. Torquing down after "red death" drys, lol. The crank pulley will get torqued when the head is installed along with the rest of the timing gear.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:08 am 
Site Admin

Yesterday I didn't get a lot done mainly because I also bought a new tool box and was dividing my time getting that sorted and working on the motor, lol. Anyways, here are a couple pics of the progress:

S14 oil pickup installed. This was a big PITA with the scraper in the way...

I got the cylinder head torqued down on an Apexi HG with ARP head studs. I'm always nervous torquing these, ha ha. Cams are also installed with the rest of the timing gear and CAS.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:10 pm 
Site Admin

Update: 06/25/11

Here is my upper oil pan that had to be modified to fit the ARP mains and crank scraper.

Here is my progress by the end of today:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Update: 06/26/11

Got some more work done today. Turbo/Manifold combo is not bolted down tight, it's just on there so I can build turbo lines. I need a 45 degree AN fitting (ordered tonight) to finish that up so my lines are all set up. I'm now running an S14 water neck, so I was able to delete the hard line at the back of the head as well as the long SS line that wrapped around to the turbo from the hard line. I can also now run a normal heater hose to the heater core rather than the mickey mouse crap that most SRs run due to the hard line pointing the wrong way normally.

Update: 09/11/11

Engine is done. Going in the car today!

It's finally in the car! Lol

Update: Today!

Worked on some IC pipe routing today. Need to cut some more piping tomorrow to continue...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:27 am 
Site Admin

Not much of an update, lol, but I found out that my Nismo/Tomei FPR doesn't fit anymore, so I had to order a new one (got an AEM external one). Also, I had a buddy at work weld on my tial BOV flange and a threaded bung for an air intake temp sensor on my cold pipe meant for the Greddy intake manifold.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:53 pm 
Site Admin

Did some more work last weekend on the 240. I bolted down the radiator secure (it was just sitting there before) along with the lower radiator hose. I also made a "sweet" bracket to hold my remote oil filter, using an angle grinder and a drill, lol. Here it is mounted up with no filter:

Here it is with the filter installed:

I also filled the motor up with Torco SAE-40 Break-In oil, rotated the motor and torqued the crank pulley bolt. I also installed my uber JDM Greddy magnetic oil drain plug, lol. It was cheap, so what the hell! I did some other things here and there, but nothing too exciting.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next