It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2007-Current: My 1992 240SX Coupe Project
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:53 pm 
Site Admin

Well started it up. Built good oil pressure right away. Ran real rough (and lean) and it turns out, the fuel lines on the tank are old and cracked, lol. Gas all over the floor (a lot). So now I need to clean it up, and install new fuel lines, ha ha. Damn! Not a horrible thing though I guess. No coolant or oil leaks at all, so that's always a plus. Warmed it up to about 170­­°F holding it at 2000rpm, then let it idle, and it wasn't very happy. After I get the fuel lines put in and double check shims, then I'll start it up again. Maybe tomorrow...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:38 pm 
Site Admin

So, I fixed the fuel issue, lol, but after checking the shims, I need to order 6 new shims to get everything gapped correctly. Placed the order tonight, and got priority mail, so I'm hoping I get them by this weekend. So no updates until the weekend, lol.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:43 pm 
Site Admin

I got the motor started up and even took it on a test drive (see video below). The solid lifters are still pretty noisy, but not as bad as they used to be. They still sound a little too loud though IMO....

http://youtu.be/fc2BinWlqYQ

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:43 pm 
Site Admin

Got the motor (with new cams) running tonight! It's so QUIET! No lifter noise at all! You don't hear anything besides the e-fans and exhaust! So stoked! I'll get a video up tomorrow (have to get up early for work). Now I just need some miles on it, then do a re-shim/oil change and hit the dyno! You guys have no idea how stoked I am right now! It's been 3.5 years since this has ran correctly!!!

BTW, it turns out that I was shipped hydraulic lifter cams back in 2009 when I ordered Solid Lifter cams. This has been my main issue... this entire time!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:41 pm 
Site Admin

Here's the video of the new cams. HUGE difference! Now I can actually put some miles on this motor, lol.

http://youtu.be/7O-fUwF2Z6Q

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:18 pm 
Site Admin

Well here's the motor in all of its finished glory! It isn't super pretty, but it's running good so far! I'm hoping nothing else goes wrong with the valvetrain! Everything is shimmed correctly, and I have the correct cams installed! My plan is to put some miles on it over the next week or so, and then open the valve cover to make everything is good (I'll do a compression check too). If everything looks good, then I'll be making my appointment to get it tuned for power!

I also installed a new PTP Turbo Blanket:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:49 pm 
Site Admin

Took the car out for a few pictures. I haven't been able to do this in a LONG time! lol. Washed it up even... it's been years! Tune was moved to Tuesday, and it's ready I hope!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:45 pm 
Site Admin

I'll post the details and the story of today, tomorrow after work, but here's a picture to peak some interest... lol

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:33 pm 
Site Admin

So I showed up at English Racing yesterday morning at 9 a.m. They get started and find out that the shop that did the AEM wiring for me, didn't wire in the wideband o2 into the ECU. So that took a bit extra, they also wired in a switch for switchable maps (more on that later). So we got it on the dyno and after the basic stuff they went to turn up the boost. Well, the boost control solenoid was wired in wrong also, ha ha. So more time to fix mistakes. Started putting down more boost and power and we were getting some weird phantom knocks, when the motor really wasn't knocking. Turns out, the Evo knock sensor was also installed incorrectly (further back and closer to the head than the stock location), so he had to tune pretty conservatively for now, and when I get the knock sensor installed right, I'll be going back so we can get a better tune ironed out. Was happy with the work from English, would definitely recommend them to my fellow Nissan enthusiasts (before my car, they were working on a 1200 awhp GTR... lol), and I liked the tuning ethics they had (matched what I cared about).

Ok, now the switch. I got to California all the time (family), so I wanted a CA safe tune for when I drive the car down there (CA has the worst "high octane" gas in the country). However, I didn't want to be limited by that, so the other tune is for our high octane gas :)

The 403whp tune is with 91 octane CA pump gas (I drove down and brought up 12 gallons just for that purpose!). Ran on average about 17 psi.

I was running low on 92, so we had to put in a gallon of C16 for the 465whp tune. The tune is meant for 92, but until we get the knock sensor in correctly, I wont be running that tune on 92... just to be safe. On average, this tune was around 20psi.

Here's a stand alone pic of the 465 tune. The AFRs on the graph are about 1.5 higher than reality:

Car on the Dyno:

Left the shop at 8:30 p.m. It was a long day, lol. Front tire got a bubble in it also, so now I have to rock mismatched wheels for a bit until I get new tires (lame). Oh well, I'm just glad everything held together well (especially at 8,500rpm!). Car pulls pretty well now, low end feels like it used to, but the top end is there finally, which is what it really lacked!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:05 pm 
Site Admin

Little dyno video I threw together, lol

http://youtu.be/9x0_3CSASM4

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next